Best Budget Golf Clubs (2023 Update)
When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a teeny-tiny 🤏 affiliate commission.
Golf is an expensive sport, and buying a new set of clubs can often be daunting. However, there’s no shortage of good-quality golf sets that can be bought on a budget. Therefore, in this article, I’ve compiled a list of the best budget golf clubs that will work just as well as their more expensive counterparts.
The best budget golf clubs for most people are the Callaway Edge Set. It boasts a forgiving, high launch and looks very professional. The stylish bag is also spacious and easy to carry.
The only instances in which I wouldn’t recommend the Edge Golf set are if…
- You’re looking for extremely forgiving golf clubs. Go with the Strata Men’s Golf Package Set (available on Amazon).
- You’re on a strict budget. Go with the MacGregor CG3000 Set (available on Amazon).
- You need a great beginner iron set. Go with the PXG iron single-length set (available on Amazon).
- You’re an experienced golfer and are looking for the best golf clubs on a budget that can help you improve your game. Go with the Wilson D9 Golf Irons (available on Amazon).
In this article, I’ll first take you through a list of the best budget golf clubs and sets. Then, I’ll discuss why the Callaway Edge set is the best choice for most players and which alternatives are better suited in certain circumstances. Let’s get started!
Best Overall: Callaway Edge Set
- Edge drive
- Edge 3-wood
- Edge 5-hybrid
An outstanding set of golf clubs at a reasonable price, the Callaway Edge set is the best option for most golfers.
With a complete set of irons, an excellent driver, two hybrid clubs, and a mind-blowing Odyssey White Hot Pro putter, the Edge Golf set is considered one of the best set of golf clubs to take your game to a whole new level.
There are 4 irons in the bag that perform with pro-like consistency, from the 6 iron up to the 9 iron. The great thing about these irons is that they go just as far as a normal set of golf clubs and they’re designed for you to swing them with as little effort as possible.
This means that once you get a smooth rhythm going, you’ll be hitting pure, consistent iron shots with ease. They are also very forgiving and can be used to shape the ball around quite easily.
The two wedges are the Pitching wedge and the Sand wedge. Both of these clubs provide consistent performances, although the Sand wedge might not have as much loft as one would like.
However, it works great for a standard 80-yard shot into the green. If you like playing higher shots or struggle to get out of bunkers, you may need to get a 60-degree wedge separately.
The two-hybrid clubs are the 5 hybrid and the 3 wood. These are two of the best clubs in the bag, as they provide greater control from longer distances, which is what most beginners and even middle-handicapped golfers struggle with.
The 5 hybrid provides a very consistent, high-ball flight and has a slight draw bias, which means that it will go right to the left most of the time. This is great for you if you want to be able to get a long shot to sit quickly on the green and if you struggle with a slice.
The 3 wood is probably the second-best club in the whole set, as it’s a great club to use off the tee if your driver isn’t performing, and it travels like a rocket. Many customers have rated it as the best wood they’ve ever played with.
The driver has a very large face that provides insane forgiveness when you catch the ball off-center. It also travels just as far as normal drivers and is only 10-15 yards behind the top-range drivers. There are many similar drivers that have very similar performance to the Callaway Edge Driver, which would cost more than the whole set combined!
Last, but certainly not least, the best club in the bag is the Odyssey White Hot Pro putter. This is arguably one of the best putters ever produced by Odyssey regarding consistency and distance control. This club itself could be with more than what the whole set costs combined.
Bottom Line: This golf set is effective, affordable, and forgiving. If you’re new to the game and want a new set, or if you’re looking for a set to up your game, the Callaway Edge Set is one of the best golf club sets for the money.
- Complete golf set: From the driver to the putter, this golf set has everything you need to get you playing well.
- Great consistency: The consistency and accuracy are what makes these clubs stand youtube from the rest.
- Trusted brand: Callaway is a very trusted brand in the golf equipment scene, and its reputation for quality is well known. Tour players like Jon Rahm even use Callaway clubs.
- Easiest to use: This set of clubs was designed to help the average golfer hit the ball better, and it does its job well.
- Great cost savings: There isn’t a set of clubs that can compete with the level of performance, as well as the price of the Edge set.
- Light shafts: One issue with this set is that all the clubs have very light shafts, and although they work well for golfers with slower swing speeds, golfers with faster swings will struggle.
- Lack of loft: The sand wedge is the most lofted club in the bag, but it can be argued that the loft just isn’t enough to help out in bunkers and around the green.
Most Forgiving Set: Strata Men’s Golf Package Set
- The Strata 12 Piece Set Is Designed For Maximum Performance Right Out Of The Box; The Set Includes: Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Hybrid, 6 - 9 Iron, Pw, Putter, Stand Bag And 2 Head Covers
- Woods: Lightweight 460Cc Forged Driver That Has A Large Sweet Spot, A Titanium Head, And Provides More Forgiveness To Help You Hit It Farther Off The Tee. An Oversized 3 Wood Is Forgiving...
- Hybrid: A 5 Hybrid Is A Great Alternative To Difficult Long Irons That Gives You More Confidence On A Variety Of Shots
We all know that one of the best ways to lower your score on the course is to hit the ball as straight as possible and reduce the severity of the bad shots. If you have a frustrating pull or slice going, and you just want a golf set that will assist you in limiting those really bad shots, then this golf set is for you.
This 11-piece Strata set gives you excellent control and forgiveness and is great value for money. In this set, there’s a driver, 3-wood, 4-hybrid, 5-hybrid, and a set of six irons from 6-Sand Wedge. You also get a 35-inch (88.9 cm), blade putter, as a bonus. This complete set of golf clubs will help you if you’re a beginner, as it covers all distances well.
The irons are the highlight of the set, as they provide accuracy and forgiveness to the average golfer that struggles with mishits and shanks. They have a large topline on them which provides a better look and feel, and the more comfortable one is over the ball, the better.
This set also has regular flex shafts, which aid in helping you swing more smoothly but may hamper golfers with faster swings. A downside to these irons is that they may not last as long as some other sets.
The driver and the 3-wood, 4-hybrid, and 5-hybrid all have decent performance ratings and great forgiveness. The driver, for example, provides the most forgiveness after the irons and is pleasant to look at behind the ball. All of these clubs provide a beautiful ball flight and sound amazing when struck.
The 35-inch (88.9 cm) putter is the only thing that lets this golf set down, as it has very little forgiveness on off-center hits and no markings to let you know where the center of the clubface is. However, this golf set is mainly based on the forgiveness of the irons and the driver, so even if you have to put a new putter in the bag, this set still makes sense.
Bottom line: If you’re struggling with ball striking, these are the best and cheapest golf clubs that provide the most forgiveness.
- Great forgiveness: The Strata Men’s Golf Package Set is the set that provides the most forgiveness throughout the range of clubs.
- Good beginner set: Having a set that you can improve with is what all new golfers need, and this set does just that. It is forgiving and easy to use at first, but you’ll find that it shapes the ball really well too.
- Amazing feel: The feel and sound that is produced when you hit a shot are simply amazing.
- Not great durability: The irons seem to get scuffed quickly, and the set doesn’t seem to be as durable as many other clubs on the market. This may affect your decision about which clubs to buy, especially if you want a longer-lasting set.
- Only available in regular flex: The Strata Package set only comes with regular flex shafts, which will negatively affect your ball striking if you have a faster swing speed than normal.
Best for Your Budget: MacGregor CG3000 Set
- QUALITY COMPLETE GOLF SET - Featuring 9 clubs, 3 headcovers and a deluxe golf stand bag
- DRIVER - 13° high launch titanium matrix driver. Higher loft encourages higher, straighter ball flights for amateur's swings. Headcover included.
- WOODS - Low profile 18° fairway wood and 24° hybrid wood with headcovers. Fairway is perfect for more controlled, shorter tee shots, and the hybrid makes long approaches or tricky lies...
If you’re on a really tight budget and don’t know whether or not you can even afford a decent set of clubs, then look no further than the MacGregor CG3000 set. MacGregor has made a name for itself in the golf accessories market by offering good quality products at a very competitive price point, and this golf set is no different.
The MacGregor CG3000 Set is a complete set and it is very reasonable for the mid $300’s. The set includes a driver, a hybrid, a six/seven iron, an eight/nine iron, a pitching wedge, a sand wedge, and a putter.
You also get a bag and stand that can take you around a course reasonably well. This set is designed for beginners, but the price won’t do justice to how well they perform.
All of the clubs make good contact with the ball and travel their intended distances consistently. The irons have the best consistency and feel amongst the clubs in the set, as they are good behind the ball. The driver has a good sound and feel to it, and even though the distances are quite consistent, they aren’t very long.
Another positive about this set is that the putter performs well on the greens, even with its simplistic design.
Bottom Line: If you are looking for the best golf clubs on a budget that can get you around a course, then the MacGregor CG3000 Set is a no-brainer. It’s the cheapest set of clubs in the market that can perform on the level of average golf clubs.
- It fits into a budget: This set is unmatched regarding price and performance combined. However, you are paying for a limited set of clubs which balances out the price advantage.
- Accurate distance control: The problem with most of the cheapest golf clubs is that the performance isn’t consistent with each shot. However, not only is the MacGregor CG3000 Set the best value for golf clubs there is, it is guaranteed to perform well too.
- Not a Popular Brand: While MacGregor is a brand with a long history, it’s not as reliable as other more established brands such as Callaway or Nike.
- Sub-par driver performance: The driver performance isn’t great, both in terms of distance and control. This could make playing even harder for a beginner since the driver is supposed to be the easiest club to hit.
The Best Golf Clubs for Beginners: PXG Single Length Iron Set
- All irons are a single length - 37. 25"
- Set Includes 7 clubs (5, 6, 7, 8, 9 PW + GW)
- Balanced center of gravity makes them easier to hit, more forgiving and consistent
If you’re new to the game and are looking to get a new set, but you want the best golf clubs for cheap, then the PXG single length golf irons are a terrific option.
Unlike most other golf clubs that are marketed for golfers of all experience levels, this set is specifically made for beginners. The clubs in this set are designed to deliver good, accurate shots while boasting a very forgiving design.
Iron shots and driving are the two areas where beginners struggle the most, and that is why it’s worth getting the PXG irons, even though they aren’t part of a complete set. These irons are specialized to give you the best performance and forgiveness as a beginner. This also allows you to choose your own driver and putter based on what works for you.
However, as you improve your skills, you may find the limited range of clubs problematic and may consider shifting to a complete set.
Bottom Line: The PXG golf irons are the best value you’ll get for golf clubs as a beginner because of how well they perform and how durable they are. If you’re looking for a complete set, however, then this won’t work for you.
- Great performance: The performance of these irons for beginner golfers is incredible. The forgiveness, ball flight, and consistency are what’ll get beginner golfers hooked on the game.
- Good value for money: The performance ensures that this iron set is among the best value for money.
- It isn’t a complete set: This is a big let-down because there are so many full sets that are targeted at beginners because newbies don’t want to go through the hassle of buying clubs separately. It is much more convenient than a complete set.
Best Clubs To Improve Your Game on a Budget: Wilson D9 Golf Irons
- EFFORTLESSLY HIGHER SPEEDS AND GREATER DISTANCE: Strategically positioned, urethane-filled Power Holes enable maximum face flex for improved speeds and an expanded sweet spot you can’t...
- CONSISTENCY EQUALS CONFIDENCE: Wilson’s lowest-ever center of gravity in an iron increases launch angles and delivers a steeper angle of descent for increased green-side control.
- LOOKS THE BUSINESS. HANDLES THE COURSE.: The game improvement features you want, concealed in a player’s iron aesthetic you’ll love.
If you’ve been playing golf for a while and are looking to upgrade your clubs within a budget in order to improve your game, then I’ve got just the set for you. The Wilson D9 golf irons are here to elevate your game without burning your pocket.
These irons are revolutionary in that they have been designed to improve distance while still providing accuracy and consistency. They have also been designed to provide better launch angles as well as an improved look and feel to the clubs.
The irons are made for high performance on a budget, and the Midsize head helps with confidence over the ball. So, if you’re looking to improve your ball speed in order to increase your distances without having to swing any harder, then the Wilson D9 Golf Irons is for you.
Bottom line: It’s time to get rid of that old beginner set that you’ve been using for years and upgrade to a set that will be worth your money and, most importantly, improve your golfing experience.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Golf Clubs on a Budget
While it’s nice to get cheaper golf clubs, especially if you’re on a budget, you shouldn’t compromise on quality or you’ll never improve your game. While the clubs don’t make a world of difference for beginners, you’ll need better clubs as you improve.
Here are some tips to consider when buying budget golf clubs:
- Weight: Regardless of whether the clubs are light or heavy, they should have consistency. If the 8 iron is significantly heavier than the 9 iron, the set won’t be consistent.
- Shaft Quality: Very often many cheaper golf clubs have decent club heads, but the low shaft quality brings the overall quality down.
- Brand Name: While you won’t get a cheap set from Nike or TaylorMade, you should at least ensure that the brand has a reputation. Check product reviews and whether the company offers a refund or some other form of buyer protection.
Recap: Best Golf Clubs for the Money in 2023
Whether you’re a beginner or a professional golfer, there’s always a club option to suit your needs.
However, if you’re looking for the best balance between budget and affordability, I highly recommend the Callaway Edge Set. It also comes with a great putter and is used by golfers of all levels.
So, next time you think of getting a new golf set, don’t be concerned that you can’t afford the latest Nike or TaylorMade clubs since sets less than half the price are equally as effective!