f you’re new to golf, you know how overwhelming it can be to choose the right clubs. With so many options available, it’s hard to know where to start. No worries! The Honest Golfers team compiled a list of the best golf club sets for beginners. Whether you’re looking to upgrade or just starting out, these clubs will ease you into the game. With that in mind, what are the best golf clubs for beginners?
With a driver, 3-wood, 4-hybrid, 5-hybrid, 6-SW irons, and a 35″ blade putter, the Callaway Strata Men’s Complete Golf Set is the best choice for beginners because of its wide range of clubs at an affordable price. Beginners loved the irons and driver because they are high quality and forgiving.
As avid golfers, we understand the importance of finding the right clubs, especially as a beginner. That’s why we’ve carefully selected and researched the best set of golf clubs for beginners, considering factors such as performance, durability, and value for money.
This Honest Golfers list includes various options to suit different budgets and preferences, so you can find the perfect set, including the best golf set, to kickstart your golfing journey.
Best Overall: Callaway Strata Men’s Complete Golf Set
- The Strata 12 Piece Set Is Designed For Maximum Performance Right Out Of The Box; The Set Includes: Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Hybrid, 6 - 9 Iron, Pw, Putter, Stand Bag And 2 Head Covers
- Woods: Lightweight 460Cc Forged Driver That Has A Large Sweet Spot, A Titanium Head, And Provides More Forgiveness To Help You Hit It Farther Off The Tee. An Oversized 3 Wood Is Forgiving...
- Hybrid: A 5 Hybrid Is A Great Alternative To Difficult Long Irons That Gives You More Confidence On A Variety Of Shots
The Strata Men’s Complete Golf Set provides a convenient and budget-friendly solution for beginners looking to quickly get all the necessary equipment to start playing on the course.
The set includes an impressive array of equipment, including a driver, 5-hybrid, 4-hybrid, 3-wood, and 6-SW irons, as well as a 35-inch blade putter. This set includes 11 clubs, covering all the essential bases a golfer needs on the course.
The irons in this set are particularly impressive, with a thick topline and generous offset to motivate confidence at the address. The shaft’s flex in this set is suitable for beginner golfers, and the grips and shafts are comparable to those found in the high-end cavity back iron sets.
The driver is also noteworthy, with a 460cc head and standard flex shaft that offer maximum forgiveness. The large head and visible face at the address brands it an excellent option for beginners.
One potential downside of this set is that the putter may not perform as well as some players might hope due to its lack of milling or insert on the face. This could cause putts to veer off course, either left or right.
- Wide range of clubs
- Affordable price
- Impressive irons and driver
- Hybrid clubs are generally easier for beginners to use compared to long irons
- Game improvement clubs are designed to be more forgiving on off-center hits
- A lightweight bag with plenty of convenient pockets can be helpful for carrying your clubs and other equipment
- Some sets offer more than just a 12-piece, giving you more options to choose from
- Players in reviews highly rate strata golf clubs
- Poor quality putter
- Steel-shafted hybrids may be challenging to launch
- Hybrid clubs may not be preferred by some players who are used to long irons
- The bag may not have a wide range of color options to choose from
Overall, the Strata Men’s Complete Golf Set is an excellent choice for beginners due to its wide range of clubs and affordable price. While it has a few shortcomings, such as the putter and steel-shafted hybrids, it offers excellent value for money and can be easily augmented with additional clubs.
Best Price: Wilson Men’s & Seniors Profile SGI Golf Clubs
- Designed for teen swing characteristics to produce maximum distance and a rewarding experience for beginners
- Large 460cc driver engineered with super game improvement technology to enhance new golfer experience
- Deep, perimeter weighted 431 stainless steel irons with very low center of gravity for improved accuracy and distance
The Wilson Profile SGI Complete Golf Clubs comes at a competitive price range and is a good choice for beginners and occasional golfers. It offers a variety of clubs, including a fairway wood, driver, 6-9 irons, hybrid, sand wedge, pitching wedge, and putter. It also has a carry bag and headcovers for the fairway wood, driver, and hybrid.
Lightweight performance is a key feature of this set, with clubs designed to be forgiving and help players hit the ball far.
The Wilson set is available in options for men, seniors, women, and teens, making it a versatile choice for a range of players. The irons are built for ultimate forgiveness, with deep perimeter weighting and a low center of gravity to improve distance and launch.
- The irons in this set are designed for maximum forgiveness, making them an excellent choice for beginners who may struggle with consistency.
- The putter has a balanced design that helps improve accuracy on the greens.
- This set is very affordable, making it a good option for players on a budget.
- A reputable manufacturer makes it so that you can trust the clubs’ quality.
- It includes only the essential clubs, without any unnecessary extras you may not need as a beginner.
- The clubs in this set are specifically designed to be helpful for beginner players.
- Some users have reported that these clubs may not be the most durable, so they may not last as long as more premium sets.
- The set does not include a 5-iron, which may be a drawback for some players.
- The bag handles are not designed as well as they could be, making carrying a bit awkward.
- Some players have noted that the clubs in this set run a bit short, which may affect performance for some golfers.
Round-Up Against Competitors
When comparing the Wilson set to the Strata Men’s Complete Golf Set, the Strata set includes 11 clubs and is available in left or right-hand options, while the Wilson set consists of 10 clubs and offers options for different player types.
The Strata set includes more forgiving irons and an impressive driver, while the Wilson set includes two wedges.
Best For Design: Stix Casual 9-Piece Set
The Stix Casual 9-Piece Set stands out for its sleek and stylish design. The matte black finish and grey and black color combo with red zipper pull give the clubs a high-end look, and the stand bag is also well-designed and visually appealing.
The headcovers, on the other hand, are a bit of a disappointment and are not as well-made as the rest of the set.
One of the standout features of the Stix set is the high quality of the iron set. The finish is durable, and the clubs have a premium feel.
The driver also has an excellent look at address, with a two-tone matte black crown and a slightly closed face. However, the impact sound of the driver is quite loud and may not be to everyone’s taste.
The Stix set includes a full range of clubs, including a driver, fairway woods, a hybrid, irons, wedges, and a putter.
The irons are forgiving and easy to hit, making them a good choice for beginner to intermediate players. The set also includes a lightweight, weather-resistant stand bag with plenty of pockets and a five-way top with three full-length dividers.
- The finish on the clubs is high quality and turns heads
- The clubs are very forgiving, making them ideal for beginner golfers
- The clubs have a sleek design and attract attention to the course
- The driver and five wood are both high-performing clubs that are great for driving and hitting off the deck
- The hybrids are well-balanced and easy to develop confidence with
- Excellent putter and the irons feel fantastic and maintain the swing path well
- Shafts may not be stiff enough for some senior players
- The driver has a loud impact sound
- Driver face may be too closed for some players
- Price may be considered high for the quality of the clubs
- It does not include a golf bag
Round-Up Against Competitors
While it is more expensive than some of its competitors on this list, it offers a nice balance of quality and value. It includes a full range of clubs, including a driver, fairway wood, hybrid, irons, wedges, and a putter.
Its focus on design is a standout feature, making it a visually appealing choice for players. The driver may be too forgiving for more advanced players, and the impact sound may be too loud, but overall it is a solid option for beginners looking to improve their game.
- Driver: A lightweight 460cc titanium head features advanced aerodynamic shaping for faster swing speeds and is aided by an ultralight 50g RBZ shaft. Has a high MOI head design with Speed...
- Fairway: Lightweight 180cc clubhead. Low CG encourages higher launch. Speed Pocket provides more face flex & greater performance on shots struck low on the face. Rescue: Versatile sole...
- Irons: Advanced perimeter weighting designed for added forgiveness; concentrated mass near sole of the club creates lower CG for higher launch. The multi-function sole geometry provides...
The Taylormade RBZ Speedlite 13-Piece Set is a top-quality choice for golfers looking to take their game to the next level. The set includes a 460cc titanium driver, a beautiful set of high-performance irons, and a stylish golf bag to protect your investment.
The irons feature a thick topline that inspires confidence at address without being too clunky, and the grey finish on the crown of the metal woods adds a touch of style. In addition, the set is easy to launch and forgiving, making it suitable for a wide range of skill levels. While it may be the most expensive set on the list, it is worth considering for those seeking a high-performance option.
However, it should be noted that the bag is better suited for use on a trolley rather than being carried. The set also includes a classical sand wedge and pitching wedge, a mallet putter, and a cart bag. Overall, the Taylormade RBZ Speedlite set is a comprehensive and impressive choice for golfers looking to up their game.
- 460cc titanium driver that offers faster swing speeds
- High-performance irons with a thick topline that inspire confidence at address
- Woods are easy to launch and forgiving
- Irons feature a large cavity back design and perimeter weighting to prevent club twisting on off-center strikes
- The set includes a bladed sand wedge and mallet putter
- Complete set of 13 clubs and stylish golf bag included
- The graphite shafts are prone to breaking
- The driver is not as forgiving as other models
- The set includes rescue clubs instead of hybrids
- Some golfers may find the putter too light
- The cost is on the higher end for a beginner set
Round-Up Against Competitors
While the TaylorMade RBZ Speedlite 13-Piece Set is one of the more expensive options on the list, it is a high-quality set that offers a range of clubs for the beginner to intermediate golfer.
Compared to other competitors on the list, the TaylorMade set stands out for its advanced aerodynamic shaping on the driver and its use of SpeedPocket face technology on the fairway wood, providing enhanced performance.
The set also includes hybrid clubs, known for their forgiveness, and a stylish cart bag. Overall, the TaylorMade set is a solid choice for those looking for a comprehensive set of clubs that will perform well and look good on the course.
- Men's right handed golf set includes: 460cc driver, #3 wood, 21 Hybrid, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW stainless irons, putter, deluxe stand bag and 3 headcovers
- 460cc driver for extensive distance and forgiveness
- Great aiming mechanism putter
The Precise M5 set includes a driver, three wood, 5-9 irons, a hybrid, a pitching wedge, and a putter. The graphite shaft on the driver allows for more flexibility upon impact, resulting in increased travel speed and longer distances.
The three wood and hybrid are great for beginners and offer a nice balance of distance and control. The irons feature a shallow cavity back design and stainless steel, making them both attractive and durable. The set also includes a mallet-style putter with a face insert, providing a balanced and precise performance.
- Affordable price for a complete set of golf clubs
- Designed to improve the distance and accuracy for beginners
- Oversized clubheads and offset design make it easier for beginners to get the ball in the air
- Attractive and stylish design
- Durable steel shafts on the irons
- Includes matching dual-strap bag and head covers for easy transport
- It only includes one hybrid club
- No sand wedge included
- Some reviewers found the driver to be not as durable
- It may be slightly more expensive than some competitors
- Some reviewers found the set to be lacking in forgiveness compared to other options on the market
Round-Up Against Competitors
Compared to competitors on the list, the Precise M5 set stands out with its user-friendly, oversized clubheads and offset design, which helps reduce off-center hits and improve the game of beginning or intermediate golfers.
The set also includes a matching stand bag with a rain hood and club head covers, adding to its convenience and style. However, the set is missing a sand wedge and only includes one hybrid, which may not be enough for all golfers.
The Wilson X31 Golf Clubs are a classic choice for beginner golfers. These clubs feature game improvement technology such as cavity back irons and large, forgiving wood heads, making them user-friendly and easy to launch. The set includes 10 clubs: driver, 3-wood, 5-hybrid, 6 iron-SW, and putter, as well as a stand bag.
One standout feature of the Wilson X31 Golf Clubs is the irons’ solid feel and good performance. With a simple, smart look and strong ball flights, these irons provide good consistency and distance for beginner and high-handicap golfers.
The woods in the set also have a user-friendly feel and offer reasonable control over the flight. However, some users may find the driver slightly less powerful, with a whippy shaft and a less-than-desirable sound at impact.
- Clubs made with lightweight materials to enhance swing speed and distance
- Clubs have shorter than standard shaft lengths for improved control
- The set includes a driver, three wood, five hybrid, 6-PW, SW, and a putter
- Woods have a user-friendly, easy-to-launch design
- Stand bag has a stylish look and ample storage space
- The set includes a headcover for the driver
- The driver may not provide as much distance as some competitors
- Irons may not appeal to those looking for a more traditional design
- No sand wedge included
- Not always available in the US
- Shaft length may affect distance for some players
Round-Up Against Competitors
Compared to other beginner golf club sets on this list, Wilson, with 10 clubs, marks an average on the club count. The irons, in particular, have a simple, smart look and offer strong ball flights and good consistency in ball striking and distance. However, the woods have a more basic appearance, and the driver may not provide as much distance as some competitors.
The set also lacks a sand wedge and includes only one hybrid club, and the putter has a solid feel but does not come with a headcover. Overall, the Wilson X31 set is an excellent user-friendly option for beginners, but it may not stand up in terms of performance and durability compared to other sets on this list.
- Driver-A titanium driver (105 in Reg flex and 115 in Senior Flex) has an oversized shape and heel-biased weighting for longer and straighter drives
- Fairway-3-wood and 5-wood feature a shallow profile and heel-biased weighting for accuracy and distance off the tee and from the fairway
- Hybrids-4-hybrid and 5-hybrid creates perfect gapping between the fairways and irons for longer approach shots into greens
The Cobra Golf Men’s XL Fly set is an exceptional choice for beginner golfers who want to feel like a pro on the course. This complete set includes everything you need: a driver, five-wood, three-wood, four-hybrid, five-hybrid, SW, 6-PW, putter, and a top-quality golf bag.
The set’s oversized design helps to mitigate poorly struck shots, and its advanced technologies provide high launch and plenty of distance.
One slight downside to the XL Fly set is its chunky wedges, which don’t offer the best control when chipping. However, this is a minor issue compared to the set’s overall quality. The XL Fly set is a bit pricier than some competitors, but it’s worth the extra cost for the excellent feel and forgiveness it provides.
The set is available in 10 or 12 club options, so you can choose the one that best fits your needs and budget. Overall, the Cobra Golf Men’s XL Fly set is a top choice for beginner golfers and high-handicappers who play infrequently.
- Well-known brand played by top golfers
- Beginner-friendly clubs with oversized designs to help mitigate poorly struck shots
- High launch and lots of distance
- The Cobra XL Fly set includes three wood, five wood, a driver, four hybrid, five hybrid, 6-PW, SW, and a putter
- The senior set features graphite shafts
- Low centers of gravity make the clubs easier to launch
- The set is available in both 10 and 12 club options
- Priced higher than some other options on the market
- Wedges may not offer great control when chipping
- Only available in a cart bag, requiring the use of a golf trolley
- It may not be suitable for more experienced golfers
- Some users may prefer a stand bag to a cart bag
Round-Up Against Competitors
While it is a bit more expensive than other options on the market, it stands out with its impressive technology and premium features. The only minor drawback is the chunky wedges that don’t offer great control when chipping.
Compared to its competitors mentioned earlier, the Cobra Golf Men’s XL Fly set offers some of the best forgiveness and feel in the beginner golf club category, as well as excellent woods and forgiving irons. It is a great option for slower swinging or senior golfers looking for slightly offset irons, an oversized head, and technology that will help with launch and distance.
- Titanium matrix driver with oversized 460cc club head; 10.5-degree 3-wood
- 3- and 4-hybrids engineered to replace difficult-to-play long irons
- 5-, 6-, 7-, 8-, and 9-stainless steel irons and pitching wedge with steel shafts
The PROSiMMON X9 V2 Golf Clubs Set is explicitly designed for taller players, with clubs one inch longer than standard sets, which are perfect for players around 6’2″ and taller. The set includes a titanium matrix 460cc driver with 10.5 degrees loft, a fairway wood, two hybrids, and a range of irons from five to a pitching wedge.
The set is completed with a large mallet putter that can easily align with your target. One of the standout features of the PROSiMMON X9 V2 +1 set is the inclusion of two hybrids, which offer versatility and distance off the tee. The set also comes with a lightweight, durable bag with plenty of storage and is easy to carry.
Overall, the PROSiMMON X9 V2 +1 Golf Clubs Set is an excellent choice for taller beginner golfers looking to improve their game. The clubs have a large sweet spot and are very forgiving, making them easy to hit and enjoy. The set is also competitively priced and has received overwhelmingly positive user feedback.
- Explicitly designed for players 6’2″ and taller
- It comes with two hybrids for added versatility off the tee
- Clubs have a large sweet spot for more manageable, straighter shots
- Irons have high precision and comfortable feel
- The bag is lightweight, durable, and has plenty of storage
- Hybrids have a solid trajectory and can help get you out of trouble on the course
- The putter is easy to align with the target and has a comfortable feel
- The driver may be difficult to use for players with slower swing speeds
- This set does not contain a sand wedge
- The set includes fewer clubs than some competitors, which may not be ideal for all players
- Some players may prefer graphite shafts for the irons
Round-Up Against Competitors
Compared to its competitors on this list, one of the standout features of the PROSiMMON X9 V2 set is its “+1” design, which means the clubs are 1 inch longer than standard sets. This makes them particularly well-suited for taller players who may struggle with short clubs. In comparison, many of the competitors on this list offer standard-length clubs that may not be as comfortable for taller players.
Another advantage of the PROSiMMON X9 V2 Golf Clubs Set is its inclusion of two hybrids, which provide beginner golfers with a versatile and easy-to-hit option off the tee. Many other sets on this list only include one hybrid or none, meaning that beginners may miss out on this useful club.
- Edge drive
- Edge 3-wood
- Edge 5-hybrid
The Callaway Edge, 10-Piece Club Set, is an excellent choice for those looking to improve their golf game. The set includes a driver, 3-wood, hybrid, 6-9 iron, sand wedge, pitching wedge, and putter, all with impressive distance and contact technology. The putter stands out in this set, particularly with its White Hot Pro design and Super Stroke Grip.
One downside to the Callaway Edge set is that it does not come with a golf bag. However, this is offset by the affordable price of the set. Another potential drawback is the lack of long irons, which some players may prefer for lower ball flight and spin.
Overall, the Callaway Edge set offers a balanced combination of clubs that will allow beginners to work on all aspects of their game. Its explosive ball speed, low center of gravity, and superior greenside control make it a top choice for those looking to take their play to the next level.
- A balanced combination of clubs for beginners
- Explosive ball speed for increased distance
- Low center of gravity for high and straight shots
- Good turf interaction with 5-hybrid
- Stable mid-irons for straight shots
- Wedges have a spin for superior greenside control
- No bag included
- No longer irons for lower ball flight and spin
- Not as forgiving as other beginner golf club sets
- It may be too advanced for very beginner golfers
- Pricier than some other beginner golf club sets on the market
Round-Up Against Competitors
The Callaway Edge 10-Piece is a standout choice for beginner golfers looking for a high-quality set without a bag included. Compared to the other beginner golf club sets mentioned on this list, the Callaway Edge set stands out for its impressive distance technology and well-balanced combination of clubs.
While it may not be as forgiving as some of its competitors, it offers excellent value for the price and will help you improve your game. Finally, this set is only for right-handed players, whereas some of its competitors provide flexibility for both.
Recap: Best Clubs for Beginner to Intermediate Golfers in 2023
When choosing golf clubs as a beginner, it’s essential to consider the level of forgiveness in the clubs.
Beginner sets are designed with larger sweet spots and faces, allowing for more shot control and distance. It’s also vital to consider the type of clubs you will need based on the course you will be playing on.
A half set, consisting of 4 or 5 irons, a wood, and a putter, may be sufficient for a shorter course. Custom fittings with a qualified PGA professional can also ensure that the clubs work with your specific height, swing speed, and technique.
Finally, it’s important to consider your budget and whether you want to purchase a complete set or build your collection over time. As you improve your game, you can upgrade to more advanced clubs.